Monday, August 19, 2013

Edinburgh Horcrux #1 - Cashmere

Almost as soon as we arrived in Edinburgh, I noticed that a lot of stores were selling cashmere. If you know me, you know I am a huge fan of cashmere. I don't own a lot of it, because it's expensive, but I have a few cashmere sweaters from Goodwill and I love them. But when I saw that cashmere was everywhere in Edinburgh, I steeled myself, knowing I would be forking over enough to at least get a scarf. Because that would definitely be one of the best souvenirs from Scotland ever.

As luck would have it, I managed to save myself an enormous amount. When we took our day trip to Lundin Links and St. Andrews, our first stop was the Lundin Links Golf Course. I was feeling rather horribly car sick, so I stayed outside to get some air as others went in for tea and scones. Outside, little old ladies (as I affectionately refer to them in my head) were setting up tables, selling things. They were all very sweet and conversive, commenting on my nail art and such. Finally feeling a bit better, I followed a sign proclaiming "Books!" inside to see the books they were selling.
There was a clothing rack on the other side of the room, with several sweaters and a few scarves. I looked at the scarves and noticed one, a slightly off-white one, was 100% cashmere. I asked a lady, "Are these for sale?" Apparently the actual seller was out, but the remaining ladies conferred and agreed they were. "How much are these?" was my next question, fearfully expecting a price like in Edinburgh, where the average seemed to be around 35 pounds for a scarf. More conferring, and finally they concluded, "I think it was three pounds for scarves, five pounds for sweaters." Hallelujah!
I took a picture not too long after putting on the scarf for the first time, trying to capture my thrill.
The tag. It seems to perfect for the trip - made in Scotland, for a London company, bought in Scotland. :)
Now, I think I've made it obvious why cashmere is a horcrux to me. I can't quite explain my attraction for cashmere, which, though I love all soft things, is unique to cashmere alone. But I do love it, and this cashmere scarf definitely makes a part of my soul happy.
Still on a cashmere high. This lasted for several days. :D
Perhaps less obvious is why this relates to the course. I think part of the answer is because cashmere is clearly important to Scotland in some way. From what I can tell, Scotland has been making and selling cashmere for nearly 300 years. Another part of the answer is because cashmere is important and fantastic to me. The story I told above could become the stuff of folklore, and will definitely remain a fond and important story to me.
A couple days later - still wearing that scarf. I didn't really take it off (even to sleep) until I got home, where it was too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment