Friday, August 23, 2013

Edinburgh Horcrux #4: The Sea

One thing I was very pleased to see on the way from London to Edinburgh was the sea. And then I was doubley pleased when we arrived in Edinburgh and saw that we could see the sea from parts of the city. And triply pleased when on our journeys out from Edinburgh we again saw the sea.
Just barely able to see the sea as the sunsets from this street in Edinburgh.
There is something I find very calming about bodies of water. I don't overly enjoy swimming, or actually being in the water. I don't have a particular affinity for any marine life (not to say I dislike any, but just lack a particular affection). Yet I always feel so much better when there's a body of water near. In Eugene I settle for the Willamette River, but in Edinburgh we get the sea. :)
When I'm in landlocked areas, like any of the non-coastal states, I feel somewhat claustrophobic. The air just doesn't feel right. The parts of Scotland we were in felt wonderfully open and alive. Seagulls fly hopefully, the air breathes right, and the water just seems to attract beauty.
Water is also a place of such ambivalence. It is both a place of strong power and serene beauty.  Tidal waves, floods, drowning, droughts, many sea animals - all express the strength of water. Yet to feel cool water tickling your toes, or to drink the cool liquid as it nourishes all life, or to bath after a long hard day - it is equally clear how beautiful and important it is.
Water we passed on one of our drives.
Water is a focal point for many folktales. This makes sense, as most life was dictated by where the water is. But it is still relevant to the course. So many cultures have stories of Ladies of the Lake, or explorers from the sea, or other such.
Beautiful :). Near St. Andrews.

No comments:

Post a Comment