Friday, August 23, 2013

Edinburgh Horcrux #3 - Days of the Week Art

This one's a bit odd. On one of the free times, I went wandering around non-specifically, and on one street, they had these wire window cover art things. They had seven, one for each day of the week, and each has a brief poem. They are:
Monday. I found a boot, rust and salt leather. I gave it back to the sea to dance.
Tuesday. A spar of timber worth thirty bob. Next winter I will be a chair, a coffin, a bed.
Wednesday. A half can of Swedish spirits. I tilted my head. The shore was cold with mermaids and angels.
Thursday. I got nothing. Seaweed, a whale bone, wet feet and a good cough.
Friday. I held a seaman's skull. Sand spilling from it. The way time is told on kirkyard stones.
Saturday. A barrel of sodden oranges, a Spanish ship was wrecked last month at the Kame.
Sunday. For fear of the elders, I sit on my bum. What is heaven? A sea chest with a thousand gold coins.
I kind of really love these. Each one a work of art, and a really powerful thought if you stop to think at all. I almost just walked past these, but I'm glad I stopped long enough to get a picture of each. What an interesting thing to decorate a street with.
I think my favourite is probably Sunday. It's the only one that directly asks a question, but I just like the attitude behind it. Behind the direct question, it begs the viewer to ask so many more questions. "For fear of elders," it seems, s/he (hereafter I'll use a general "he") goes to church. Why do so many people do things they don't want to for fear of societal pressure? It seems the rest of his week he does so much more mental exploration. Clearly sitting "on [his] bum" isn't the kind of spiritual connection he needs, but he does it anyway. But he still tries to answer the questions asked in a way that is works for him - heaven is a sea chest.
I also liked Friday. To stare mortality on the face, and to feel the passing of time so vividly - as a viewer, it's a rather chilling but beautiful statement.

The relevance of these to our course is that the imagery each poem draws is rather fantastic. One even directly refers to creatures of fantasy - mermaids and angels. Also, art work and poetry, especially on a public street like this, remind me strongly of the stories of folklore.

No comments:

Post a Comment